Wednesday, November 24, 2010

More Visitors!

Susan and Busby flew into town last weekend, and we have had a great time eating our way through Madrid. Susan, in particular, has been doing her part to make sure as much jamón is eaten as humanly possible.

On Saturday, I was very pleased that I could convince them to join me for a free Julieta Venegas concert. Julieta is pretty much one of my favorite artists, and she did not disappoint. (Does she ever?) She played a full set, sang all my favorites, and had the great backdrop of blue skies and a statue of Quijote and Sancho. That night, we did my first La Latina tapas crawl. (La Latina is a neighborhood known for such things.) We ate THE BEST tortilla de patatas at Juana La Loca and drank a lot of delicious wine.

Sunday I met up with them in the afternoon, and we grabbed pastries at La Mallorquina before heading to the Plaza de Santa Ana for lunch. We then spent the rest of the rainy afternoon in the Thyssen-Bornemisza, the only one of the three main art museums I had never been to. It was quite impressive, especially considering that it was all once part of a private collection. This was probably my favorite piece, by Edward Hopper, although it doesn't translate well to a computer screen:
Dinner involved eating copious amounts of greasy tapas at El Tigre, a bar that gives you heaping plates of free food when you buy a drink. WIN! Monday involved round 2 of cocido madrileño, this time with photos:

And Tuesday involved paella. So, yes, let it be known that if you visit me in Madrid, your visit will consist mostly of eating.

It's been a blast having Susan and Busby here, and I'll be sad to see them go this weekend. However, 3 more weeks until Christmas in SF!

No comments:

Post a Comment