Monday, January 17, 2011

Londres

Hello again! I'm back in Madrid and back to writing.

After a truly delightful and restful visit at home, my mom and I took off for London to be tourists for a few days. God I love London. It had been about 9 years (gasp!) since I spent a summer there, and I thought my Anglophilia had died down. I was mistaken. As soon as we touched down at Heathrow and I started to hear proper accents everywhere, my heart went aflutter all over again!

We didn't do a whole lot that I hadn't done on previous trips, but that was fine by me. Here are some highlights:

• Uh, saw David Hasselhoff walking down the street. He's much skinnier these days.

• Went to see two musicals: Blood Brothers and Flashdance. I know what you're thinking, dear readers. I thought Flashdance would be terrible, too. But it was surprisingly entertaining.

• Went to the Tate Modern, the Victoria & Albert Museum, and National Portrait Gallery. One of the many things I love about London are the free museums. The V&A is my favorite.

• Visited St. Paul's Cathedral. This was a new one for me. Thanks, Matt, for the recommendation! I thought I was all cathedral-ed out after a few months in Spain, but St. Paul's was a refreshing change of pace. In retrospect it's obvious, but it hadn't previously dawned on me that this cathedral is not actually Roman Catholic -- it's Anglican. The mosaic-covered ceilings were shiny and beautiful, and the acrophobia-inducing climb to the top of the dome was well worth the views. Also, lady priest! (I'm sure Matt can tell me what she actually would be called, since I don't think it's "lady priest.")

• I know British food has a bad reputation -- and it's deserved to a certain extent -- but we ate some really tasty meals. New British dishes I tried: Beef Wellington, sticky toffee pudding, and knickerbocker glory. (The Brits have a knack for silly names, no?).

No comments:

Post a Comment