Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Caminando

In the week that I've been here I've walked a lot. A LOT. So much so that since day 1 I've had a blister about 1.5 in long on the bottom of my heel that just won't seem to turn into a callous. Diana and Alexia finally made me be brave (so I'd stop bitching) and pop the thing with a safety pin. Do not like! But I have to admit, it no longer hurts as much to walk!

Madrid is a walking city. It's easy to wander around and it's a beautiful place to explore. Everyone seems to walk. Even the old hunched señoras that live in my neighborhood. Here are some of the places I've explored:
El Paseo de Recoletos

El Museo de Arte Público


La Rosaleda in El Retiro

When not walking around the city, I've been prepping for the start of school. Yesterday the graduate program had its orientation meeting in which we learned what to do in case of pickpocketing, rape, or terrorist attack. I hope I never have to use any of that information. Today another girl from my program, Kate, and I went to get our library cards from the Biblioteca Nacional. This being a big time library, there are various rules. First off, you apparently can't study in it unless you're reading a book from there (although I definitely saw people in there today without books). You also can't bring any books into the library unless they are not part of its catalog. You also can't check books out. You may also not bring in your bag -- only the items with which you'll study. Then, when you leave, they shuffle through all of your items to make sure you're not stealing anything. And did I mention there's a metal detector? Currently, however, the BN seems to be my best option if I'm not going to study at home. We have a small study area at school, but I imagine it'll be packed most days.

Tomorrow I'm planning to take a solo trip to Segovia, city of Roman aqueducts and fairy-tale castles, and this weekend I'll be hanging around Madrid some more, picking up the last roomie from the airport, taking advantage of La Noche en Blanco, and getting ready for class!

No comments:

Post a Comment