Today, as I walked through El Retiro on my way home from school, I found myself in a social situation that I was not sure how to read. This old man approached me out of nowhere saying, "Beautiful day, isn't it?" Once I responded, he launched into a long-winded conversation in which he told me about how he's a lawyer, psychologist, and author, about how he's writing 2 books, about how the U.S. may be more advanced than Spain but that we don't know how to relax or interact with human beings, etc. At one point he introduces himself and then lays the Spanish double-cheek kiss on me. Then he lays it on me again. And after a few minutes he's touching my elbow while he's talking to me. At another point he asks me if I'd like to take a walk with him through the park. I politely decline. So then he almost says farewell three times and walks me halfway out of the park before he finally says goodbye with more kisses and an uncomfortably close hug.
The main thoughts running through my head during all of this were:
• Is this one of those "cultural learning" experiences where I'm uncomfortable because I'm used to American personal space instead of Spanish personal space, and I need to be open and accepting of my new culture?
• Is this man just being Spanish by being effusive and talkative?
• Is this man lonely and looking for someone to talk to?
• Is this man just a creepy old dude taking advantage of the fact that I'm young and foreign?
• Is this man part of an elaborate scheme to steal my money and passport??
Thankfully, I made it home with all of my valuables, but I still felt icky and unsure of what had just happened. I'm considering asking someone at Middlebury about it, but the more I think of it, the more I think this man was just a dirty old pulpo.
Also, as a footnote, when recounting the story to Claudia, she said, "Oh, an old grandpa approached me in the park today too. He came up and said, 'Beautiful day, isn't it?'"
Yep, dirty old man.
creepy. definitely creepy. also potentially clinically insane.
ReplyDelete