Last week was a bit of an adjustment with my new schedule and trying to settle into school. The reality is that I spent much of my free time hanging out at home or doing homework. Some things I did do between Thursday and Sunday are:
• Have lunch with my tía, Marilén. Marilén is really a cousin, but since she is about my mom's age, Spanish convention is that I call her an auntie. Marilén, although born in the Phillipines, has lived most of her life here in Madrid. She's got an impressive memory and speaks a delightful version of espanglish. She's also a great resource for getting to know the city. Her opinions on things like Franco and Cataluña fascinate me, and I look forward to getting to know her better over the course of the year.
• Ir de juerga. I tried. I really tried to go out and party. We started at the apartment of some kids in my program. I enjoyed sitting and chatting while drinking beer. But then the Fanta and vodka came out, and the evening sort of went downhill from there. Large group of drunk people + decision to leave house and find club and wander the streets for an hour + me not very being drunk + torrential thunderstorm = Very Grumpy Beans.
• Dine in La Latina. Alexia and I ate at 100 Montaditos, a popular chain here in Madrid. Montaditos are these tiny little sandwiches and, as you might imagine, this restaurant has about a hundred of them on the menu. Also, while waiting for Alexia, I slipped into a bar that advertised vermouth de grifo (vermouth on tap) in their window. I'm officially in love.
• Travel to Ávila. This'll be a separate post.
• Check out a free photography exhibit with Diana and Michael. It was put on by UNICEF and focused on photos of youth from all walks of life. Great photos and interesting stories.
No comments:
Post a Comment